March 27th, 2012 § § permalink
Being female, I’m no expert on men’s fashion, but I do know what looks good and what looks bad. Most guys don’t know how to shop for their body type and the right fit is much better than the right price. If it doesn’t look good, then it is a waste of money anyway. Here are my picks for the best 3 fashion blogs for men. Last Style of Defense, Know the Detailsand Dapper Lou. Hopefully this helps!
Jeans by Kent Denim, Photo by Natalie Grae Photography
November 9th, 2011 § § permalink
It may seem easy to be a dude, but when it comes to shopping for clothes they are usually more clueless than you are shopping for a new HDTV. Thankfully, the right accessories can spice up even the simplest of outfits.
$135 - piperlime.gap.com
April 26th, 2011 § § permalink
Menswear has officially hit Look of the Week, and it’s about time. Oh, boys, boys, boys — we’ve been neglecting, but never hating. While great menswear (not the t-shirt and jeans get-up) seems like a thorny little task, it’s actually easy when you rock the classics.
We have nine timeless essentials every guy needs to look great this spring: Wayfarers, a spring sweater, a check shirt, crisp spring whites, boat shoes, rolled-cuff pants, flat front shorts, and a great carry-all. This clever, flexible mix of modernized basics work for everyone from manly to metro, yuppie to hipster, and every wardrobe in between. The key is to layerthese picks with trendier pieces that reflect your personal style.
If that sounds daunting, fear not — we’ve made this collection foolproof for you fellas who want to look good, but really can’t be bothered. These nine pieces mix and match flawlessly and will carry you well into the fall. Whether it’s 9+3+8 or a little 7+6+4, it’s all aces. Throw in a little 1+2+5, and you’re good to go, yo.
1. Rayban Original Wayfarer in Tortoise, $139
2. Casio Classic Watch in Gray, $35.86
3. Polo Ralph Lauren Classic Fit Chinos in Navy, $140.25
4. Base London Regatta Nubuck Boat Shoes, $116.55
5. Topman Black Horoccan Holdall Bag, $120
6. Topman Tailored Shorts in Apple Red, $70
7. Topman Self Deep V-neck in Green, $150
8. TOMS Grisby Perforated Leather Shoe, $120
9. Topman Dobby Gingham Shirt in Navy, $52
This article originally appeared on 7×7 by author Lily Ko.
April 17th, 2011 § § permalink
It’s been an ongoing battle to find shoes that are as cool as Chuck Taylors without the painful side effects, thankfully I found Patagonia’s Whino Lace for you boys instead. If you’ve ever walked halfway across the city you know what I’m talking about. The sore redness in the back of your heel that comes from wearing low socks and rubbing up against the back of the shoe. The list could go on. Then there’s the alternative issue of finding shoes that aren’t as geeky as New Balances and lend the same kind of comfort. Well guys, you’ve been SOL for a while in the shoe department and I’m tired of seeing perfectly attractive men wince in pain to be “stylish” or just lose about 5 points in hotness because they are wearing the same shoes they wear running on their date with me. I’m not sure which is worse. Enter in Patagonia’s Whino Lace which suggests a very sexy wine date may be in your future after you walk all the way across town to meet that pretty girl who would never date you in your ugly New Balance’s.
April 12th, 2011 § § permalink
I still tend to look at my feet a lot while in the presence of my super adorable boyfriend. Last night was no exception. This time though, my iphone happened to be charged and we were both wearing our black Converse Chuck Taylors. Headed on our first concert date, I was so excited to be with him that I just had to snap this photo documenting our experience. Sometimes it’s not the shoes you wear, but who you wear them with that makes for the sweetest of memories.
March 31st, 2011 § § permalink
I’m not trying to sound too punchy or cutesy, but I personally think that the living embodyment of the jeans above would make for the perfect man. Tousled yet masculine, laissez-faire yet consciously attentive to fit and appearance. A girl can dream. These jeans are hot. I just can’t get enough of Kent Denim designer Noah Landis’s brilliant new spring line.
Get yours at Blue Jeans Bar; 1827 Union Street, San Francisco, CA
December 20th, 2010 § § permalink
It’s the thought that counts. Yeah right. Easier said than done. Well that isn’t a very nice thing of me to say but it’s kind of true, right? What do you think your girlfriend would you do if she opened up a battered up box from last years’ Christmas, and an uglyish acrylic pullover two sizes too big was inside?
“where’s my wool cardigan? ” She’d say.
“you said you wanted a sweater”.You reply.
To avoid the above scenario from ruining your Christmas (and let’s face it quite honestly you’re girlfriend), I recommend the following.
Go to Marmalade Boutique on Union and Buchannan street in San Francisco. Ask for Hope. “But I don’t live in San Francisco, Michelle?” You’ll say.
“You want to keep your girlfriend, right? You’ll do what you have to. ” I’ll Say.
1. These beautiful 14k initial necklace made by local designer Kathy Lo make great gift for sisters and best friends!
2. Fingerless gloves are to San Francisco what cowboy boots are to Dallas- a wardrobe staple and a necessity for those chilly winter days! Perfect for your brother’s girlfriend (or your boyfriend’s sister!)
3. Claus Porto mini soaps made Oprah’s list of Favorite Things this year! If they’re good enough for Oprah your favorite yoga instructor will love them too!
4. New from the Michael Stars luxe collection is this cashmere blend cozy wrap . Your roomie will love it so much that she may not let you borrow it!
5. Archipelago’s soy candles are a favorite of Jennifer Aniston’s and they make divine white elephant gifts. Your boyfriend’s mom will love them too!
6. These vintage inspired coin purses are little treasures that bring big smiles. Hollywood A-listers like Eva Mendes and Jessica Alba are big fans- and your A-list girls will be too!
7. Comfy, cozy and cute…everything she wants in sleepwear. New Bed Head styles have just arrived in flannel, cotton and silk. Moms all over the world will all sleep a little happier!
8. Gold-dipped feather and gemstone earrings by Pandora’s Jewelry Box are so cute they’re hard to give away….but at just $18, you can afford to buy a pair for yourself too!
9. Adorable baroque frames like this one from Six Trees are perfect gift hostess gifts…especially if you remind her how cute a photo of the two of you (taken at her party, of course) will look in it!
10. And for the girl who has everything, this colorful coffee table book will add whimsy and inspiration to her already fabulous pad!
Marmalade Boutique: 2059 Union Street, San Francisco, CA 94123
November 22nd, 2010 § § permalink
“So okay, I don’t want to be a traitor to my generation and all but I don’t get how guys dress today. I mean, come on, it looks like they just fell out of bed and put on some baggy pants and take their greasy hair – ew – and cover it up with a backwards cap and like, we’re expected to swoon? I don’t think so. ” – Cher Horowitz from Clueless
I think the term hoodie came about circa 1996 after Cher’s analysis of the way boys dressed in the movie Clueless. It reminds me that boys want to look like they don’t care, but yet still look good not caring. While walking along seventh street yesterday with my boyfriend (yea that’s right, I got a good one!) we came across San Franciscos’ latest coffee roastery, Sight Glass and I learned about hoodies. Sadly, this post is not about coffee and in fact about hoodies for dudes that are both soft, attractive and yet still emulate that laissez-faire “I don’t care what you think” attitude. I learned this while asking the coffee man/boys behind the counter. They knew what they were doing when they got up that morning. They threw some bumble and bumble in their hair and cozied up in a hoodie from Alternative Apparel. Kudos to them.
And For Girls!
Hoodies by Alternative Apparel : $90 Available online at Alternative-Apparel.com
October 28th, 2010 § § permalink
Daniel Sudar is in the house. Thank goodness because I really couldn’t stand hearing those awful radio commercials and seeing very good looking men look like they just stepped out of a sears ad anymore. Enter Daniel Sudar whose recent sucess has spawned his own upcoming store front and a myraid of colorful, edgy and just plain hot Suits for dudes. Having seen Daniel’s suits in the flesh at fashion shows this past year, I can certainly say they make men who I may have never give a second glance to, droll worthy. Well done Daniel!
September 27th, 2010 § § permalink
Spotted: Chuck Bass in hot patterns. I just can’t quite take the way that Chuck Bass dresses. It’s so absolutely hot because he mixes patterns and doesn’t care. It reminds me much of Brooks Brothers’ new Black Fleece store on Filmore. 2223 Filmore Street, San Francisco, Ca.
Blair said these famous words to Eva “It doesn’t matter if the dress is couture if the girl is off the rack”. I personally think Eva looks straight off the runway.